The Emerging Leaders Award is a SELFLESS4AFRICA INITIATIVE in Partnership with the Lusaka Global Shapers Hub. The Students Community Service Award scheme was established in 2014 by Selfless4Africa focused on human and leadership development of young people and exposing them to community service initiatives that will in turn have a positive economic impact within their communities. In collaboration with the Lusaka Global Shapers Hub the Project seeks proposals from College and University students identifying a project that can be implemented to benefit the community at large, focused on developing and empowering people within that community.
How to apply
- The participating Students from tertiary institutions are required to form a team of 3 to 5 students, must have a name and slogan for their project.
- The teams are expected to identify a deprived community in Zambia, identify a project that can be implemented to benefit the community at large, and present a proposal focused on developing/empowering people within that community.
Download a community service application form from the Lusaka Global Shapers Web portal at www.globalshapers.org/hubs/lusaka as well as the Facebook page ‘ Lusaka Global Shapers Hub’ or by clicking here.
- Participants must complete, scan and email your application to email@example.com with subject line captioned ‘Emerging Leaders Program Award-Zambia’
The winning team will receive a package of $3,300 ($2,500 to implement the community project and $800 for participants of the winning team).
PURPOSE OF COMPETITION
- To encourage young people to cultivate the spirit of volunteerism, community service and patriotism.
- To encourage young people to become change agents within their communities.
- To instill in young people the spirit of volunteerism, community service and patriotism.
CRITERIA FOR PARTICIPANTING TERTIARY INSTITUTION
- Participating institution must be based in Zambia.
- Participants from participating tertiary institution must be registered university students.
- Participants from participating tertiary institution must have an interest in community service and service to humanity.
- Attach photocopy of student ID cards.
PROCEDURE FOR PARTICIPATING TERTIARY INSTITUTION
- Identify a community in Zambia that needs support.
- Download a community service application form from Global Shapers Lusaka hub site.
- Complete, scan and email form to Global Shapers email.
PART B (ONLY SHORTLISTED INSTITUTIONS)
The shortlisted groups will present their proposal in a face-to-face presentation using pictures and videos. Give reasons why Global Shapers- Lusaka Hub and Selfless4Africa should support their project.
BENEFITS TO WINNING UNIVERSITIES
- Receive $3,300 ($2,500 to implement the community project and $800 for participants of the winning team).
- Showcase of groups efforts across the sponsor’s communication channels (websites, fundraising events etc.).
- Souvenirs from Selfless4 Africa and other partners.
- A plaque.
- A plaque.
- Souvenirs from Selfless4 Africa, Lusaka Global Shapers and other partners.
ABOUT Global Shapers- Lusaka Hub
The Global Shapers Community is a network of city-based Hubs developed and led by young leaders between 20 and 30 years old who want to develop their leadership potential towards serving society. To that end, Hubs undertake local projects to improve their communities of which the Lusaka hub has grown to become a visible force in this area within the capital city of Zambia –Lusaka-.
Shapers are highly motivated individuals who have a great potential for future leadership roles in society. They are selected based on their achievements, leadership potential, and commitment to make a difference. Through the Global Shapers Community, Shapers are provided with opportunities to connect with the worldwide network of Global Shapers, to network with other World Economic Forum communities, and to represent the voice of youth at World Economic Forum events. Shapers are united by a common desire to channel the members’ tremendous energy and enthusiasm into building a more peaceful and inclusive world.
ABOUT Selfless4Africa INC.
Selfless4Africa Inc. (www.selfless4africa.org) is an NGO whose focus is to uplift Africa’s poor image and change Africa’s future one life at a time and inspire acts of selflessness in others.
Its vision is to be a catalyst for a peaceful, loving, collaborative the world where people of different persuasions are proactive in reducing the plight of the underprivileged and where all children can attain formal primary and secondary school education, regardless of their family’s income and status.
Selfless4Africa Inc. believes that while individual acts of selflessness may touch the life of one person or one community, the sum of these individual acts can impact an entire nation. Accordingly, our programs are structured to encourage our beneficiaries to pay forward these selfless efforts by volunteering to help another person or community in need.